Renewable and Solidarity based Energy Communities
The Messina Community Foundation is promoting the creation of several Energy Communities capable of producing, storing and self-consuming renewable energy. Such communities also integrate an electricity distribution and pricing algorithm, designed by the Foundation in cooperation with the National Research Council and based on social criteria: the algorithm takes into account the social characteristics of the users and gives a priority to those more in need (having physical or mental disabilities, low income, etc.), tackling both energy poverty and inequalities.
The first communities are based in the sites where the foundation has its own real estate properties in Sicily, where energetic and climate change issues are highly relevant (in an urban slum, isolated inland areas, small islands, etc.), and will join the surrounding communities. Such projects are presently co-financed by several EU funding Programmes.
Representatives of a number of leading Community Foundations across the globe called upon the G20 to act on the climate crisis, referring to the recent period of global vulnerability resulting from the pandemic that has impacted many cities and communities. In a joint open letter to the Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi, signatories stress that the COVID-19 pandemic has proved that intact local infrastructure networks are essential for any effective response. The letter further states that the pandemic will only be one of many constraints that cities and communities face, unless climate action is placed at the top of the international decision making agenda. Increasing the resilience of cities and communities has to be a priority goal for multilateral decision making.
Click here to download the open letter.
- Dr. James Magowan, Coordinating Director, European Community Foundation Initiative (ECFI)
- Gaetano Giunta, Secretary General, Fondazione di Comunità di Messina
- Dr. Catherine Brown OAM, Chief Executive Officer, Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation
- Stefan Schurig, Secretary General, Foundations Platform F20
- Jon Everett, Director of Business Growth and External Affairs, UK Community Foundations
- Andrew Chunilall, Chief Executive Officer, Community Foundations of Canada
- Andrea Dicks, President, Community Foundations of Canada