Introducing our first Italian member: Unipolis Foundation
by the Unipolis Foundation
In February 2019 Fondazione Unipolis joined the F20 as the newest member of the Platform and is the first member from Italy.
Fondazione Unipolis is an Italian non-profit organization, founded 30 years ago by Unipol Group, working especially on culture, sustainable mobility and social innovation, advocating and promoting project in partnership with other no-profit organizations. It has been working to promote sustainability within Companies and to support social start-up to grow up and be engaged. Meanwhile, Unipol Group is spreading in Italy awareness about climate change resilience with SMEs and public administrations cooperating through public-private partnership.
In 2016 established, with the University of Rome “Tor Vergata”, the Italian Alliance for Sustainable Development (ASviS). The aim of the Alliance is to raise the awareness of the Italian society, economic stakeholders and institutions about the importance of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and to mobilize them in order to pursue the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Alliance already brings together over 200 member organizations among the most important civil society institutions and networks, such as: associations representing social partners (businesses, trade unions and third sector associations); networks of civil society associations pursuing specific Goals (health, education, employment, environment quality, gender equality, etc.); associations of local public administrations; public and private universities and research centres; associations of stakeholders working in the fields of culture and information; foundations and networks of foundations; Italian organizations that are members of international networks dealing with the SDGs.
The Alliance’s specific objectives are:
- to raise awareness among public and private actors, public opinion and citizens on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, favouring a widespread knowledge of current and future expected trends in relation to the SDGs, using all means of communication;
- to propose policies aimed at achieving the SDGs and to express opinions on possible legislative measures, trying to evaluate their impact and focusing on their potential to bridge the gaps between the country’s regions and to eliminate inequalities among different socio-economic groups;
- to promote education programs on sustainable development, with a particular focus on young generations;
- to foster research and innovation for sustainable development, promoting the diffusion of good practices established in Italy and abroad, and the development of analytical tools to evaluate the impact of economic, social and environmental policies;
- to contribute to the elaboration of adequate monitoring tools to achieve the goals in Italy, paying attention to specific stakeholder groups (businesses) and local contexts (communities and cities), while also giving due regard to existing tools such as the equitable and sustainable wellbeing indicators (BES – Benessere Equo e Sostenibile);
- to promote the development of analytical tools to assess the impact of economic, social and environmental policies and reduce the costs of transition to sustainability by identifying trade-offs among existing policies and suggesting actions to make outcomes more favourable.
The main activities of the Alliance are the following:
- ASVIS Report: Written thanks to the contribution of the over 300 experts from ASviS’s member organizations, the Report represents the Alliance’s primary contribution to transparent governance in Italy and aims at supporting Italian policy-makers at all levels in designing efficient and coherent strategies for sustainable development, presented before the parliamentary debate on the budget law. Each edition contains an evaluation of the policies implemented by the Government throughout the previous year in the economic, social and environmental fields, and advances policy proposals to lead Italy along a sustainable development path.
- The Sustainable Development Festival: a national awareness-raising campaign launched by the Alliance every year to promote and spread a culture of sustainability among the Italian society. ASviS organizes the Festival together with its members and with the support of its partners, over the course of 17 days, as many as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) envisaged by the 2030 Agenda. The initiative constitutes a single large-scale, inclusive and widespread event. Last year there have been over 700 meetings.
Enrico Giovannini (Director of Asvis)
Marisa Parmigiani (General Manager Unipolis)
Sabina Ratti (International Relations ASviS)